Monday, February 20, 2012

~ Sarah's 30th Birthday ~ High Tea

I am not usually one to want parties for myself at ALL- but I thought that turning 30 was pretty significant and wanted to share the experience with our family and friends. I had decided many, many months prior to the day that I really wanted to host a High Tea. I know it is often reserved as a girly experience but I thought it'd be easy enough to make it not too squirmy for the guys as well..... they were most welcome to use the dainty tea cups and saucers but could use the larger/more able to be held by man hand type mugs too! 


I decided against setting a dress code....didn't want people to be put off coming if they didn't feel like being too glamorous and hoped that the invitation and theme would say enough about the event to give people an idea of how to dress (ie preferably not in boardies and thongs!! ) Fancy and dressy if you wanted but come as you felt comfortable.

Setting up for this party and planning all the itty, bitty details was the fun part! I bought a great size marquee (6m x 3m) off ebay for an absolute bargain at $97. From what I found, you couldn't hire them that cheaply and in even on ebay they varied in price over time. It was fairly easy to set up and provided the perfect elegant backdrop for the occasion. I also bought a few paper lanterns off ebay to hang from the "ceiling" and made some tissue paper pom poms to complete the hanging decor. Once purchased you have a great marquee you can use over and over again and lend to friends and family for their parties.





The key to making things as budget friendly as possible is to BORROW where possible!!  ( maybe some begging required in some cases) I did end up choosing to hire a few round tables to display  the tea and coffee and provide some places to sit and enjoy each others company. We also hired some chairs as we just didn't have access to borrowing for this occasion. In the past we have borrowed/used chairs but it just wasn't possible this time. That would obviously help keep costs down.


Beautiful bulbs, that I have had for years, and by chance they were all white so suited my decorating theme perfectly. I really wanted it to be an elegant affair and little touches like this go a long way. If you don't garden or happen to have matching bulbs sitting around - ask a friend or friend of the family if you can borrow some of their potted plants to create a bit of atmosphere for your party. 



Framed menu's add a touch of class and give your guests a hint of what's to come! White was my chosen colour - scrounge through frames at home or look in Red dot or some other discount store for alternative frames/colours, whatever suits your theme. Alter the font to suit the party theme, there are HEAPS of free fonts online that you can download to use! Search for free fonts online :)



Cheated with the table decorations a little, in that I didn't have them sitting around but potted colour is a fairly cheap way to decorate tables for any event and you get to enjoy them in pots or in your garden afterwards!! A dear friend of mine, who guest blogs on here, wanted to contribute to my 30th since distance wouldn't allow her to be here. The ribbon around the potted colour was from her bought at her local dollar store- and it looks fantastic!! Mugs pictured were my own, but again you could easily borrow some off a friend or family member if you needed more than you owned or wanted a certain colour or style!



This exquisite silver tea service belonged to my beautiful Gran and I was so excited to be given it for my 30th birthday. I absolutely adore it!! Tea party anyone?!


Basket- mine, originally bought from Red Dot I think!!
Napkins borrowed from my Mum.

Some of the yummy treats! Beautiful brass urn on loan from my Mum, passed on from  her Mum!
A stunning array of trio's (teacups, saucers and sm. plates) that I am now lucky enough to have! A collection of beautiful teacups from my Grandma Porter, My mum and Jason's Aunty Bev plus some of my own.




 Gorgeous Tea box that was loaned to me, my Grandma's sugar bowl- complete with sugar cubes- a must for any High tea!


All tablecoths were borrowed from my amazing Mum and Mother in Law. This beautiful Irish Linen one I had already inherited from my Grandma.

I was so lucky to have amazing friends and family who got behind my dream party and loaned me their treasures and their special talents. Between some amazing friends, clever mums, sister and sister in law there was a stunning and delicious array of treats to eat!! To top it all off was the array of fine teas and coffees....what an afternoon!



This was the amazingly beautiful cake, created by my talented friend, Alisha. This was a very special addition to my birthday.....and absolutely DELICIOUS!! The vintage look cake was just perfect for the occasion. The cake topper was created by another super talented friend. (link included underneath "Sweet Cheeks")

This is the link to her business page on FB....I highly recommend her!! Amazing, creative lady!






                                                      
Gift boxes all the way from the USA, bought in bulk for an amazingly cheap price by my dear friend Naomi for guest thank you's.



Yummy shortbread biscuits in the shape of a teapot, wrapped in cello and tied with some ribbon for guests to take home. Fantastic icing job done by hubby helping!




 It was a wonderful afternoon, I know it looks like a lot of work but it was well shared around and there were plenty of amazing helpers to get it all out and ready! AND it was so much fun to plan and do!  I had an absolute ball and am looking forward to the chance to spoiling someone else with a tea party one day. Maybe the little Miss.... xx






4 comments:

  1. Ooh ! I am so jealous.Hope you had enjoyed a lot.and your photos is so beautiful to see.After all great party and thanks for sharing this with us.
    gift ideas for him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decide where to have the party. Depending on the size of the party, you can opt to host it at someone's house, a rental hall or even a restaurant. Make sure that you find a place that is large enough to accommodate all of your party guests..... Birthday party decorations UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah's 30th Birthday was epic. I totally loved the flower décor for this bash. My little one also turned one in the last month and we hosted a cute princess inspired party for the celebrations. We had booked the rental indoor event venue for the party and really liked the services provided by them.

    ReplyDelete